You're not gonna believe this but there's a new state on the ocean, and it exists to run AI.
Yeah, for real.
We start and finish in the ocean today. For very different reasons. 😜
Thing 1 - AI Beyond Borders: BlueSea Frontier
The world is getting interesting. It looks more and more like we're entering a sci-fi movie.
- President Biden made a new order that's supposed to make AI safe, secure, and fair for everyone.
- The FTC said it will stop unfair or harmful practices involving AI and algorithms.
- The DOC made a new rule to limit the export of some AI software and technology to other countries.
There are many ways it could backfire.
Enter BlueSea Frontier Compute Cluster (BSFCC)
The rapid pace of artificial intelligence has led to hastily drafted government regulation. Foreseeing this inevitability, Del Complex has engineered a solution ready to set sail. The BlueSea Frontier Compute Cluster (BSFCC)—a groundbreaking venture in international waters, melding cutting-edge technology with unparalleled autonomy.
- from Del Complex website
BSFCC is not just about raw computing might. It's a statement of independence. Decked out with Nvidia's finest and guarded like a treasure, it's a fortress of innovation on the open sea.
What do I mean by that?
- Floating out at sea, away from all the red tape and restrictions
- Packed with the latest in computing power
Over 10,000 Nvidia H100 GPUs per platform
- Each cluster operates as its own sovereign nation-state deep in international waters
Recognized through the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) and the Montevideo Convention
- Permanent population of residents from allied military forces and private security staff + a bunch of other defense tech
There's a new player on the field.
Yes, there are plenty a problem they'll have with time.
Thing 2 - AI of the week
- CodeFusion - Pre-trained Diffusion Model for Code Generation
- Google introduced Duet AI
- Appealing to the LLMs' (non-existent) "emotions" makes them perform better
- xAI announced Grok
- RunwayML introduced 1stAI Machine - the first physical machine to edit videos generated by AI (Weird?)
- ElevenLabs released Eleven Turbo V2 - their fastest TTS model yet
- CodeFusion: A Pre-trained Diffusion Model for Code Generation
- Shield AI raised $200 Million for AI-driven aircraft
- RunwayML released an update to their text-to-video and text-to-image generation
- NVIDIA Research announced MimicPlay - an imitation learning algorithm that extracts the most signals from unlabeled human motions
And many more...
Thing 3 - Sea Canvas: Breton's Self-Portrait Migration
Breton is one of the many great white sharks that migrate south from Nova Scotia during winter. They feed on seals, whale carcasses, other sharks, and fish along the Gulf Stream.
And that would be the end of it OCEARCH didn't tag and start tracking Breton.
Few years into the journey, here's what his path looked like:
(The data is real. You can verify it yourself on Breton's OCEARCH page by filtering the activity from September 12, 2020, to February 12, 2022.)
Breton drew his self-portrait 😂
We don't have to always be serious, do we? 🙃
Till next week!