Dr. Ethan Mollick is at the forefront of research and application of AI in daily life, yet even he struggles to keep up.
So in this issue, we go back to humans for a bit and look for ways to cherish those we hold dear.
And then throw the kitchen sink of AI and robotics that happened this week. And it's not even an exhaustive list.
Thing 1 - Your Relationships Over Time
And some takeaways on what this could mean for you.
The data is based on the US and it differs from other countries in some ways, but the takeaways should resonate.
- Embracing solitude can be essential.
- Alone-ness tends to increase with age.
- Cherish friendships in your youth.
- You might have many but few stick around through thick and thin.
- Your time with children tops out while they are children.
- Make the most out of it. Don't delay for later.
- Time with family is limited.
- Your time with your parents tops out while you're a child.
- How many more times will you see your loved ones?
- Your partner is the person you'll spend the most time with.
- It's your most important partnership. Treat it as such.
- Choose who you work with. You'll spend a lot of time with them.
- Retirement can lead to a significant decrease in social interactions.
- Try having meaningful connections outside of work.
(h/t Sahil Bloom, source)
Thing 2 - AI & Robots of the week
When I say AI is progressing at an insane speed, this is what I mean.
Honestly, the increasing pace is insane. I am an academic focused on this, working with other researchers who also focus on it, I talk to AI critics & executives & teachers & folks at the AI labs often, I am on Twitter too much and I read the latest papers... and I barely keep up
- Dr. Ethan Mollick
Highlights from THIS WEEK
- Amazon is rolling out humanoid robots to "free up" staff
- Boston Dynamics introduced Multipick for Stretch
- Figure humanoid status update - Dynamic Walking
Their introductory video was a mere 7 months ago...
- Baidu unveiled their latest AI model Ernie 4.0
They claim it rivals GPT4 in performance
- IBM's NorthPole processor brings memory and processing together
Too little RAM for LLMs but could do wonders in self-driving cars
- State of AI Report 2023
It's a few days old so probs outdated...
- 4K4D: Real-Time 4D View Synthesis at 4K Resolution
- Google revealed Project Green Light
Optimizes traffic lights to reduce vehicle emissions in cities
- Anthropic expands Claude to 95 countries
- Eureka is an algorithm that uses a large language model (GPT-4) to generate and improve reward functions teaching robots how to perform complex manipulation skills.
- Meta announced Habitat 3.0, The next milestone on the path to socially intelligent robots
And that's not even all...
Thing 3 - The Last Moment Lens
Imagine them at the moment of their deaths, and then treat them that way now.
- Naval Ravikant
This goes well with the graph and takeaways from Thing 1.